Bianchetto Truffles (Tuber borchii Vittadini)
The Bianchetto truffle (Tuber borchii Vittadini) is one of the most popular wild truffles known under plenty names: Blanquette, Marzuolo (“March” in Italian) or Spring Truffles.It is widespread in the Piedmont ,Tuscany and Marche regions of Italy.
Bianchetto truffles are “whitish” (Bianchetto is the Italian word for “whitish”) . They have similar characteristics to White truffles (Tuber Magnatum Pico) but are cheaper, smaller in size and conveniently discoverable in the same region. The best harvesting period is between early January and April.
External appearance: The outer skin (peridium) of Fresh Whitish or Bianchetti Truffles (Tuber borchii) is smooth and dark cream becoming dark orange in some stages of ripeness or in specific geographic locations.
Internal appearance: the pale ochre pulp (gleba) contains veins that are initially white and turn reddish while ripening.
The intense garlicky flavour of Bianchetto Truffles cannot be confused with anything else. The aroma is very sharp and strong and does not suit to everybody’s taste.
Fresh Bianchetto Truffles have a shelf life of two weeks when refrigerated, but the best way to enjoy them is to consume them as fresh as possible.
How to store Fresh Whitish Truffles?
They can be stored for a short time in a refrigerator, and longer - in a freezer:
1) The fridge temperature should be 2°/6°. Each truffle should be wrapped in a clean kitchen paper towel and kept in an airtight food container or jar. The paper should be changed if necessary, usually on a daily basis. The normal process of water loss and transpiration leads to forming tiny spots of white mould, but this does not influence the truffle’s quality.
If the truffles become soft and start smelling badly, this means they are spoiling.
The maximum length of refrigeration time is approximately 5- 10 days.
2) In a freezer one can:
a) Preserve whole truffles:The fresh truffles are washed and dried, then frozen whole in a food container or a jar. The frozen truffles are to be used straight from the freezer , before they melt. The freezer storage time is about 5 months.
b) Preserve sliced truffles in oil: The fresh truffles are washed and dried, then minced and heated in a saucepan with butter or extra virgin olive oil. They are to be removed from the heat before they start boiling . After the truffles are cool they are to be portioned (for example, for 4/5 persons), placed in airtight food containers, covered with extra virgin olive oil and stored in the freezer maximum for 6 months.
How to cook with Fresh Whitish Truffles?
• Clean the truffles by slightly brushing them under running water and dry them with a dry cloth;Any soil on the truffle skin can be softened if immersed in cold water for 10 minutes.
• Slice or grate them over butter or cheesy dishes, or use them to flavor meat dishes.
• Flavor sauces and spreads for canapes ,hors d’oeuvres and crostini.
• You’d better not heat or cook them but use Bianchetto truffles raw or slightly warm to enjoy their unforgettable aroma.
Distribution: It is common in Bulgaria and very common in Europe